Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Go Speed Racer Go?

I was having mixed feelings when the movie was starting because 1) I wasn't impressed by the trailer, felt it to be too CGI-ed. 2) Yet at the same time I've heard positive feedback from friends. And the other reason for me to catch this film is because it is directed by the Wachowski brothers.(The Matrix trilogy)

One thing I've learned from this movie is that to trust my first impression. The overall visual of this film is just too 'colourful'. I know it is from a cartoon series(I've watched it in the past), so its targeted for the kids but this is a live-action adaption, yet it tries to have an anime feel to it with all those kiddie touches to it. It is a combination that I felt did not worked out for me.

The storyline is what you can expect from the cartoon series which means it is kind of predictable. Speed Racer would always dodge the attacks from the opponent with the famous flip/jump. It is cool watching it the first round or two but it just gets repetitive after awhile. Another negative point is the length of the film, its too long. Car scenes of the same drift moves and flips ain't helping it.

The saving grace is that it is funny at times but just not enough to save the whole movie. Would not recommend it.
3/10

--

So guess what happen to the bullet points report thingy? When I asked the leader about it, his reply was that the specs didn't say how many words mah, only pages.

WOW, common sense is not so common after all...

And the rest of the members finally decide to change it to word format because they asked to view other team's report and ya, its not in bullet point. (SURPRISED!)

This week's RAW looks nice, still watching it halfway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Wachowski bros certainly put a lot of effort into making Speed Racer... the movie overall looked and felt like a cross between anime, a kaleidoscope, that Flintstones movie, a video game and the Dukes of Hazard

Junhao said...

I like them as directors, but maybe because it felt different from their previous work. I didn't quite like it.